RL Success Journal

Here are the piece and parcel that make up all the little precious and joyous footsteps of my motherhood life in pursue of happiness and success...

9.01.2012

iPad Broken Screen

About two weeks ago, Jayden finally broke the screen of the iPad. For some reasons, I found myself not feeling mad. Perhaps it's because I had mentally prepared myself a while ago that he might break it someday, though I was hoping not. But I felt that it's time to let him know about his responsibilities of taking care of his belongings, as he always took things for granted and never took good care of his belongings.

This was the conversation that took place:
Jayden: Oh no!! Mom! You see.. it's scratched!
Mom: (without looking at the iPad) Yes I know! You scratched it the other day. That's why mom always said you must be careful when handling the iPad.
Jayden: I see.. But mom.. but mom, so many scratches, you see!
Mom: (looking at the iPad) Oh no!! What happened?? Hmm.. Did you drop it or step on it?
Jayden: No...
Mom: Did you drop it at mama's house?
Jayden: Yes..
Mom: Oh no.. You want to "da-da"? Mom told you not to drop it, and now it's broken. Now I must "da-da" you.
Jayden: I don't want to "da-da" mom..
Mom: Go get the cane..
Jayden: (Surprisingly, he really went to get the so-called cane and handed it to me. The cane was a flat stick that I put at home and labelled as a cane)..
Mom: Did mommy tell you not to drop it and you must always handle it with care?
Jayden: Yes.
Mom: Why did you drop it then?
Jayden: I don't know. I don't want to drop it mom.
Mom: So, I need to "da-da" the hand that drop it. Which hand drops the iPad?
Jayden: (Obediently, he took out his hands; being indecisive, he chose the right hand)
Mom: OK.. Now I must "da-da" 5 times ok.
Jayden: (He nodded)

I hit his hand very lightly, then he switched his hand. It continued without him uttering a word. Then, he showed me a sad face and frowned lips with his eyes holding some tears from dropping. Then, I stopped.

Mom: Is it painful?
Jayden: No.. (tears dropped from his eyes)
Mom: If it's not painful, why would you cry?
Jayden: I am sorry, mommy. I don't wanna drop it again. I'm sorry mommy.

I then gave him a hug and kiss. I asked him if he knew what he had done wrong and he said yes. Then I explained to him how he must take good care of his belongings and he nodded.

Actually, I am quite happy (though still feel sad the iPad was broken) with the way I handled this incident, as the results achieved are beyond my expectation. Apparently, Jayden has become more careful than before. He will even clean up his things when I told him it's too messy, or when he found that it's messy (not all the times, but at least half the times). I feel Jayden has become more understanding and more responsible too. My baby is growing up. :o)



No comments: