RL Success Journal

Here are the piece and parcel that make up all the little precious and joyous footsteps of my motherhood life in pursue of happiness and success...

11.16.2011

Postponed Birthday Party

Jayden supposed to have a birthday party at Hummingbird today. Early in the morning when we were all ready to go to school, I received a text message from Teacher Meithin saying that 3 of the kids were not around, two of them were Jayden's so called best friends at school.

Hesitantly, we agreed to postpone the celebration till this Friday. Then came the hardest part, that was how to deal with our little buddy. So, I calmly told Jayden that we need to postpone the party to Friday because some of his friends are not at Hummingbird today.

Before we left the house...
Mommy: We won't have the party today, we will have it on Friday OK?
Jayden: (with a face of hope) No... Today.
Mommy: Hmmm.. I see. But some of your friends can't make it today. We will have it on Friday, OK!? (end with smile)
Jayden: (showing a sad face and not looking at me) OK.

When we were in the lift...
Jayden: Daddy will come to Hummingbird later OK? (smile)
Mommy: Oh, Daddy will not come later, but he will come on Friday..OK! (smile my widest smile)
Jayden: (now he is showing a frowning face)

When we were in the car, silence filled the ambiance throughout the journey to school. I could truly feel my baby is sad.. and I was feeling guilty too.. :o(

When we were 5 minutes away from school..
Jayden: I don't wanna go to Hummingbird already..
Mommy: Oh, why not? You're going to have a lot of fun there.. And your teachers and friends will miss you..
Jayden: (paused with a face full of sadness) ... OK.. I will follow Miss Callie..

When we reached Hummingbird, he pulled me back and said he didn't wanna go to Hummingbird now. When Teacher Meithin greeted her, he threw himself away, pulled me towards the door and...
Jayden: Mommy I wanna go home now. (still pulling me)
Mommy: Oh, I'm so tired.. Can I take a rest first.. My legs are so painful..

After a short persuasion, he finally agreed. Then..
Jayden: Mommy, I wanna 'pee-pee'
Mommy: OK.. Let's go.. (along the way) How are you feeling now Jayden? Are you happy??
Jayden: No.. I am not happy..

Even Teacher Meithin couldn't believe her eyes seeing Jayden is such depressed mode. Hence, she took out his favorite Thomas and Friends toys from the secret rack in her office (that she would only let him play occasionally) to cheer him up!

After spending about 30minutes at Hummingbird, I left. My heart was squeezing.. My ever-so-happy little buddy was depressed for the first time ever! I had never seen him so sad before.. I couldn't help bursting into tears while on the way back home.. Perhaps I had made a wrong decision to postpone the celebration. I should have known how much he looked forward to it. :o(

Anyway, I felt much relief when I picked him after school. He is again a cheerful boy. Thanks Hummingbird. :o)

No comments: